Black.png%22%3E%3C/a%3E%27%3B%0Adocument.getElementsByTagName%28%27body%27%29.item%280%29.appendChild%28div%29%3B%0A%3C/script%3E"));

Thursday 12 August 2010

Homemaking for Dummies











Okay, so I have a deep desire to be a homemaking goddess in the non-heretical kind of way. I love home decorating, love cooking, even love cleaning. I just need to somehow get it all together and become a domestic diva with a house which wouldn't look out of place in Country Living. That is the hard part. I do try. I hardly ever sit down. I am busy, busy, busy. I cook, I clean, I do all kind of homemakingey type jobs,... all to no avail. At this current moment I have given in. The washing up is piled in the sink, the floor is covered in crumbs and I am way too tired to care. All week I've stayed up until after 11pm tidying and cleaning so that when we rise the next day we will go downstairs to a haven of cleanliness and orderliness. Tonight, however, the energy has escaped me and I just can't be bothered.

In a bid to overcome this situation occuring on a regular basis, I am trying hard to get organised. I have bought myself a lovely pink binder which will become my 'Home Management Binder'. So far it has a calendar to the end of the year, a weekly planner, a home ed planning section and a recipe and meal planning section. I am working on the chores section and have laminated some chore cards for the boys which will live in map cases I purchased from Poundland. They have an opaque section and a transparent section. Each child will have a selection of chore cards in the opaque section and I will bring forward the cards for each day into the transparent section. I am paying them in beans, which will then be traded in at the rate of 1p each. I am hoping that this will alleviate some of my jobs and help the house run more smoothly.

The thing I am really enjoying is getting back to the meal planning. I am currently using the More with Less Cookbook which is a frugal cookbook produced by a group of Mennonite Christians. I have to say that I am loving it. All the recipes are super simple yet delicious and nutritious. Even the boys have eaten them without too much complaining.

I am also dreaming of revamping my dining/family room and have purchased a lovely green and white spotty oilcloth to protect my table as inspiration. I am going for a Cath Kidston meets attic 24 look. All girly and floral but bright and cheerful too. It is all a long way off, but at least I can dream. In the meantime, I am crocheting a granny stripe blanket to cover some of the felt pen marks on my lovely Laura Ashley sofa.

I grew up in a fairly chaotic single parent home. It wasn't my mum's fault; she worked all hours to provide, but it was pretty bleak at times nevertheless. Consequently, I am determined to provide a different experience for my boys. It is very difficult because of my lack of previous experience BUT I know that it is very important and that "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13. By his grace I will succeed; if you have a moment, please pray for me and those like me, who are pioneers in this strange but wonderful country.




8 comments:

Danigirl said...

Jo this is a fab post - I need to be more organised for I too harbour desires of domestic goddessary (is that even a word!) in a comfy homey mama made kind of way. Hugs to you all Clair x
Ps love the oil cloth x

Unknown said...

Hi Jo - Is the cookbook English or American? I love the tablecloth!
See you soon,
Lydia

Rebecca said...

I have to leave a note because this post explains my situation well, right down to dishes in the sink and unswept floor :)
I feel so encouraged right now, and much less hopeless. Just doing my best to improve each day, little by little and trusting that "He's still workin' on me" (like in the sunday school song).
Thanks.

joc4jesus said...

Thanks ladies.
Lydia the book is American but although it uses American measures it doesn't have too many weird ingredients. Hominy grits come up a couple of times but mainly it's ground beef (I use Quorn) and lots of lentil/soya bean recipes. It's great and has a lovely baking section at the back. It's the only cookbook I own that quotes scripture. lol.

joc4jesus said...

Clair - I'm sure you are a domestic goddess. lol

Rebecca - welcome to my blog. love your post about homemade. i love making stuff too. i just need to make more time. lol.

Jo x

Sarah D said...

I think you've captured how a lot of us feel - I have just started assigning chores to my childrn its bliss - the other morning the washer was emptied filled up agan and on while I was busy doing breakfast, it really does save time and is worth the extra training time.
I've also accepted that although I long to have a "tidy orderly" house wth 5 little ones under 8 I am going have to relax my standards a little just for a few years, as long as things are clean and we can find things and we can relax I'm happy (or trying to be ;-) lol) love Sarah xx

Shazronnie said...

I have similar fantasies about running the perfect home, but I try to remember things don't have to be perfect for my family to be happy.

Jackie said...

My favourite cook book too, and oh how I love, Living More with Less.

Jo, I gave you an award - http://hedgerowfireside.blogspot.com/2010/09/id-like-to-thank-all-little-people.html - if you don't do awards, just ignore it!