Black.png%22%3E%3C/a%3E%27%3B%0Adocument.getElementsByTagName%28%27body%27%29.item%280%29.appendChild%28div%29%3B%0A%3C/script%3E"));

Saturday 31 October 2009

Hallelujah!!!

Tonight we had a Hallelujah party. I always feel a bit mean about the children missing out on Halloween but it's not consistent with our beliefs to celebrate it. This year we decided to have a Hallelujah party where we praised God for Jesus, the light of the world. We made Pumpkin Soup (we had to read the book, of course) which we ate with crusty tiger bread and cheese for all the dairy types. Then, because our oven is broken atm, we feasted on refrigerator cake. We read scriptures about Jesus being the light of the world and talked about how tomorrow is All Saints Day, so we talked about missionaries and martyrs, particularly the need to remember to pray for those who are out there on the front line. Our dear friend Jennifer is currently working as a missionary in Thailand so we will think of her particularly tomorrow. After the meal and meditations the children carved pumpkins with crucifixes and 'joyful' faces. We played apple bobbing and marshmallow fishing and then roasted marshmallows. We ended the evening with hot chocolate all around. Yummy. It was a great evening and I'm sure the children will remember it and ask for another next year. I shall have to get thinking of some new games.

The thing that saddens me is that I'd love to do something similar at church but there is no will for it. In fact, I wonder how many children were at Halloween parties or out trick or treating. That fear may be totally unjust but most people think we're mean for telling the children that Santa isn't real so I wonder if they think we're just as odd for opting out of Halloween. I guess there might be conversation after coffee tomorrow and then we'll see.

Hallelujah to our risen Lord.

5 comments:

Helen said...

Well done you for such a brilliant sounding party. We returned to our old church in Plymouth, Devon that weekend and went to their fantastic Light Party which is always held on Halloween. Next year we are hoping the Lord will help us run something at our new church or in the village. I'll start praying for you and your church too.

joc4jesus said...

Thanks Helen; that would be a blessing.
Jo

Mam said...

Hum. We had our regular non spooky halloween party at church, Halloween in its literal sense 'the Eve of All Saint's day'. We started 2 years ago, and had the fun bits eg apple bobbing, slime made from cornflour and water, doughnut dangling, but no witches or skeletons etc. I thought it would be a good idea.

I've changed my mind. It's too close to the world's distortion of Halloween, or Samhain, so people aren't understanding the difference. Some witches and skeletons have started to creep in, and even vampire teeth! we'll have to do it differently next year. I think I'll opt out and just do something with my children at home. We're moving away anyway, so whatever happens at my church isn't my battle anymore. God can sort it out.

Sarah D said...

I could not believe how many people celebrated halloween this year :-( we went to a light party at our local methodist church which was really well done - we are thought a little strange for not celebrating Halloween but even if I was not a christian why would I want to scare my poor children half to death???? Makes no sense to me!

Lynn said...

Merry Christmas Jo!
LX